Here's a quick list of Nokia E61 gripes and moans as I find them.
- The SIM slot is a bit odd, nice and secure when you've got the SIM in there, but I had to check the docs to work out how to insert it!
- The battery cover is rather tough to slide off
- The comma key seems to have a life of its own, sometimes it decides to be an apostrophe instead, which would be very useful if I could work out how to toggle it back and forth
- Smileys are a pain to type, shift ":" blueshift "-" shift ")" on a UK keypad - blueshift ")" on a Swedish layout
- The volume keys on the side are just crying out for more use
- Why, oh why, doesn't the back command go back? Yes, the History style thumbnail view is pretty, but I generally just want to go back to the previous page
- Is there an easy page up/down mechanism? Hell, there's plenty of available buttons...
- Joystick is unidirectional, horizontal or vertical only, why not diagonal?
- The behaviour with edit fields on forms is very nasty, if you switch focus to another app and back again, it loses what you've typed
- It's almost impossible to edit on large edit fields like this page (disappointing)
- Getting the browser to ask you which access point to use is difficult - it wouldn't do this for me until I set up an access point group in Menu - Tools - Settings - Connections
- It's a bit of a nasty little stick, I much prefer the Nokia 6680 or Nokia N-Gage's pad, it looks like the E61i is a bit better
- Very first thing I had to do was turn off keypad tones, they're annoying and antisocial, and there's no reason for them to be that loud by default - Menu - Tools - Profiles - General (personalise)
- Nokia tune on startup, why can't I turn this off, or at the very least chose a tune that doesn't cause my teeth to grate?
- Red key closes apps, wtf! Not nice for long term S60 users, and annoying for newbies in a "wtf did my app go?" sort of way
- The IM app is a waste of rom, does anyone really use Wireless Village/IMPS? Throw it away and get a proper xmpp/Jabber client instead, Jabber Inc's Symbian client is pretty slick, it'd certainly be more useful...
- doesn't seem to be a way to select and copy text. I.e. no pen key. Update: instructions here. Basically, use Shift + joystick to select, Ctrl+C to copy, Ctrl-V to paste.
- can't define an access point from the WLAN selection if the AP is protected. WTF?!
- I'm having trouble using a WLAN connection if the encryption is WPA/WPA2. Some people suggest assigning a static IP to the phone. I'll look into this asap. Update: may be fixed, look at the E61 Setup page.
- sorting in the address book is incorrect, Å is sorted as A. Maybe this is locale-dependent?
- after 2 days the left softkey is very loose, like a loose tooth, wiggly.
- the phone is rather large and quite slippery. A rougher texture would help.
- hard to see the difference between the call/end call buttons and the softkey buttons.
- no keypad navigation in menu mode, why not? The blue number keys are in a 4x3 grid, just like the app grid. Why do you have to use the joystick for this?
- The wifi is rather weak, but of course the antenna is much smaller than a laptop's
- If you set your own wallpaper it doesn't cover the entire screen (when using active standby)
- keyboard backlight doesn't seem to work on my phone. This may be a hardware issue.